Heart of Newhaven - November Update
The Bulldozers are in!
This is the news we have been waiting for: the start of building the new school.
Every day now, as the children from my part of Newhaven walk along Western Harbour Drive towards Victoria Primary School, they will be able to see the site for their new school being developed.
Those like me, who for years have been used to walking a diagonal line from The Element cutting across the grass to shop at Asda, now have to change our route. The whole area is fenced off, so no short cut for us with our shopping bags!
But it’s a sign of progress which we have longed to see.
Meanwhile, on their first visit to Newhaven as our Business Consultants, the three representatives of SKS Scotland Community Interest Company engaged to help us prepare our Business Plan, were greatly impressed by what they saw on a site visit – and had the bonus of witnessing high spirited children getting ready for Halloween; so the place we hope to inherit from them as the beating heart of Newhaven was throbbing with life.
Their first impression was of the huge potential of this site and we have been able to furnish them with the results of the research done for us by Planning Aid Scotland. You may soon find them consulting you to tease out your hopes for the future. Yes, you!
While these consultants will continue to help us until the end of the year your Steering Committee have been continuing to take other necessary steps, some of which it may be possible to announce in the next update in 20 days’ time – and through this direct contact you will be the first to hear.
Incidentally, for those literally counting these intervals, I apologise for the slight delay with this particular update. It has been caused, if you are interested, by the fact that I have been away helping my son renovate an iconic end terrace Victorian house in Castle Donington.
So, if and when the time comes for some modest changes desired and permitted as the current use of Victoria Primary School gives way to our plans for a hub where
Culture and Heritage Learning and Enterprise Community Well-Being
are the order of the day, I may be able to play a modest part in the Vision for the Future.
I am certainly not lacking in enthusiasm for the task and I hope you share that too.
But for now I content myself with the well-rehearsed mantra: pass the word round to your neighbours, especially any who ask what’s going on with the bulldozers.
And persuade them to sign up as you have done to make a dream come true.
It’s getting closer all the time but it does depend on you.
Rodney Matthews (Vision Facilitator)
What Can I Do?
1. Have a handful of copies of the registration form (download from the website) and pen handy
2. Knock on the door of your next door neighbour. Talk to your friends and colleagues and share your enthusiasm.
3. Have forms handy when meeting friends.
4. Forward or share the the link http://heartofnewhaven.co.uk/contact.php with your friends, family and on social groups.
5. Explain that all that is necessary is a name, email address or address and signature.
6. It cost nothing and the contact is protected by Data Protection Regulations
7. Ask if they know people (do you?) who might miss out because they are always "the forgotten'. Think hard about that one. It's the people we forget we need to remember.
8. Encourage anyone who has a bright idea of what our hearts should include if it is going to be a hub of creative activity. Tell us! Why had no one suggest Newhaven needs public toilets? Add obvious things to the list. What/who else should be included. firstname.lastname@example.org
NEWHAVEN IS A COMMUNITY WITH
YOU can be part of a plan for this building to throb with life, the heart pumping the blood back into the COMMUNITY.
What would you like see happen at the Heart of Newhaven? You can help make a dream come true.
WHY IS IT NECESSARY?
Newhaven has a distinct identity.
Its rapidly increasing population and range of activities is crying out for a focal point to express our sense of community life, especially to help those in greatest need of care and well-being.
As soon as Victoria Primary School moves to its new site at Western Harbour in 2020 our community can apply to acquire the site at THE HEART OF NEWHAVEN through Community Asset Transfer – but we must show why we need it.
You can help make a dream come true.
© 2019 Heart of Newhaven